Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is an ambitious social welfare scheme of Narendra Modi Government launched on 1st May 2016 from Ballia in Uttar Pradesh. Under the PM Ujjwala Yojana, the government aims to provide LPG connections to BPL households in the country. The scheme is aimed at replacing the unclean cooking fuels mostly used in the rural India with the clean and more efficient LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas).
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Ujjwala Yojana is aimed at providing 5 Crore LPG connections in the name of women in BPL (Below Poverty Line) households across the country. The government has set a target of 5 Crore LPG connections to be distributed to the BPL households across the country under the scheme.
Some of the objectives of the scheme are
- Empowering women and protecting their health.
- Reducing the serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuel.
- Reducing the number of deaths in India due to unclean cooking fuel.
- Preventing young children from significant number of acute respiratory illnesses caused due to indoor air pollution by burning the fossil fuel.
How to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
The eligible women candidates from BPL families can apply for the scheme by filling up the Ujjwala Yojana KYC application form.
The interested candidates require to fill the 2 page application form and attach required documents along with the form. The basic details such as Name, Contact details, Jan Dhan / Bank account number, Aadhar card number etc are required to fill in the application form. The applicants also need to mention their requirement of cylinder type i.e. 14.2KG or 5KG.
KYC Application forms for Ujjwala Yojana can also be downloaded online and submitted to nearest LPG outlet along with required documents.
Eligibility for PM Ujjwala Yojana
The identification of eligible BPL families will be made on the basis of SECC-2011 data. However below is the basic eligibility criteria for the scheme.
- The applicant’s name should be in the list of SECC-2011 data.
- The applicant should be a women above the age of 18 years.
- The women applicant should belong to BPL (Below Poverty Line).
- The women applicant should have a saving bank account in any nationalized bank across the country.
- The applicant’s household should not already own a LPG connection in anyone’s name.
List of Required Documents for Ujjwala Yojana Application
Below is the list of mandatory documents to be attached along with the filled application form.
- BPL Certificate Authorized by Panchayat Pradhan / Municipality Chairman
- BPL Ration Card
- One Photo ID (Aadhar Card or Voter ID Card)
- One Recent Passport Size Photograph.
Budget and Funding of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
The government has already allocated Rs. 2000 crore for the Ujjwala Yojana implementation for the financial year 2016-17. Government will distribute LPG connections to about 1.5 Crore BPL families within the current financial year.
A total budgetary allocation of Rs. 8000 Crore has been made by the government for the implementation of the scheme over three years. The scheme will be implemented using the money saved in LPG subsidy through the “Give-it-Up” campaign.
The scheme provides a financial support of Rs. 1600 for each LPG connection to the eligible BPL households. The connections under the scheme will be given in the name of women head of the households.
The government will also provide EMI facility for meeting the cost of stove and refill.
Implementation of PM Ujjwala Yojana
The scheme will be implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas. This is first time in the history that Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas is implementing such an enormous welfare scheme which will benefit Crores of women belonging to the poorest households.
This Scheme would be implemented over three years, namely, the FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
Current state of LPG distribution in India
India is home to more than 24 Crore households out of which about 10 Crore households are still deprived of LPG as cooking fuel and have to rely on firewood, coal, dung – cakes etc. as primary source of cooking.
For Further Information Visit To Official Site So Just Click Here